From their site:
bumGenius cloth diapers are designed to make cloth diapering easy for every-day people. We believe that cloth diapering should be as inexpensive and as easy as using disposables. Using bumGenius, it is!
New 3.0 features:
Redesigned stretchy tabs - trimmer, yet snug and comfortable
Wider slot - easier stuffing and removing insert
New insert stopper - keeps clothes dry
Return of the extra-small - fold down insert stopper for shorter rise
Bundled with newborn insert - less bulk for little babies
Grippier hook and loop - stays put and looks good
The bumGenius! 3.0 OS Diaper was the first pocket diaper I ever purchased. The ease of use was a big factor in my choosing it. It looked just like a disposable diaper! Even daddies and babysitters could figure it out...it looked so easy!
This diaper is a One Size diaper, meaning that it is meant to "grow with baby", and fit from 7-35 pounds. The snaps on the front of the diaper are placed so that you can snap the rise of the diaper up or down, depending on the size of your little one. My four month old is on the medium rise, but he's a big boy. The super absorbent micro terry cloth inserts are also one size, and can be snapped down on the first tab to fit the medium rise, the second for the small rise, and the newborn insert is for the extra small rise.
The bumGenius is my favorite night time diaper. In all fairness, I haven't tried any other diapers overnight yet (soon! I'm awaiting an order of more inserts for my Smartipants so I can double up.), but I have never had a leak with the bumGenius! I use the one size insert with the newborn insert doubled over and placed at the front of the diaper (for my boy...for a girl, I'd double it and place it in the middle of the diaper), and the two combined make an excellent night time diapering solution. Just an FYI: never use the microfiber insert directly against baby's skin. They are very very absorbent and may cause chapping of baby's skin...this is something I didn't know at first! Another component in keeping baby comfortable? The suedecloth does a great job of wicking away moisture...in the morning, my boy's tush is dry!
While I find the velcro tabs convenient for putting the diaper on, I find it inconvenient to have to fasten the laundry tabs. I know that is silly, because it only takes a second, but I have to say, I've been spoiled by my Smartipants. I love not having to worry about unstuffing or fooling with laundry tabs! Even still, this is a minor issue. I still reach for this diaper first come bedtime.
Pros:
One size diaper, so it will last from tiny tot to tall tot.
Hook and loop closure make it easy to use, like a disposable.
Lots of pretty colors! I'm a big fan of the new colors. =)
Inserts are high quality and absorb a ton of liquid.
Cons:
Hook and loop wears over time, and may have to be replaced.
Laundry tabs add an extra (small) step to your laundry routine.
Not as easy to unstuff as other diapers, but again, it's not too terribly bad.
So! Here are the scores from me to you (now more in depth...my first review was lacking).
Overall: 8...they are good, but this is definitely not my favorite "all the time" diaper.
Ease of use: 7. Stuffing the inserts isn't terribly hard, but it does take longer because of the texture of the inside of the diaper. It is the hardest to stuff diaper that I own, but I only have a few kinds. The PUL makes the stuffing slower going than say, the Smartipants diaper, but still, fairly easy. Also, the laundry tabs, though a small extra step, is still an extra step. Un-stuffing is a little slower, too, because of the extra fabric at the back. This is the only pocket diaper I own that I have to really touch the insert to get it out. Not my favorite thing.
Washing: 7. Like I said, you have to fasten the laundry tabs...which will eventually wear out. Yes, there are repair kits, but let's face it...with snaps, you would avoid this issue altogether. I haven't found this diaper terribly difficult to un-stuff, though it does take longer and my FuzziBunz and Happy Heiny's are definitely easier. And the Smartipants eliminate the need for un-stuffing!
Longevity: 9. These diapers are very well made, despite the fact that you may have to replace the velcro. I have some older 2.0's that were heavily used for over a year by their previous owner, and they are still in great shape (well, after she replaced the elastic and I replaced the velcro). The inserts, however, are not. =P At any rate, because of the One Size feature on this diaper, they will have a long shelf life in your cloth diapering journey. That's a big plus in my book.
Daddy and sitter friendly: 10 if pre-stuffed, maybe a 9 if not. I always pre-stuff my diapers after laundering them, but I could see how someone who's never done it might be like, "Wha...?" Still, these diapers are just like disposables (you know, except they are totally cheaper and better for the environment and way more comfortable, I'd imagine, on your baby), and that takes the intimidation factor out of the equation. I can see why this diaper has such a cult following, because it is a great diaper; I thought this would be my favorite diaper! But alas, it is not. It is in the top three, though! Don't get me wrong, I like this diaper...I just like my Smartipants way more. This is my husband's second favorite diaper, though, right after the Smartipants.
This diaper is a One Size diaper, meaning that it is meant to "grow with baby", and fit from 7-35 pounds. The snaps on the front of the diaper are placed so that you can snap the rise of the diaper up or down, depending on the size of your little one. My four month old is on the medium rise, but he's a big boy. The super absorbent micro terry cloth inserts are also one size, and can be snapped down on the first tab to fit the medium rise, the second for the small rise, and the newborn insert is for the extra small rise.
The bumGenius is my favorite night time diaper. In all fairness, I haven't tried any other diapers overnight yet (soon! I'm awaiting an order of more inserts for my Smartipants so I can double up.), but I have never had a leak with the bumGenius! I use the one size insert with the newborn insert doubled over and placed at the front of the diaper (for my boy...for a girl, I'd double it and place it in the middle of the diaper), and the two combined make an excellent night time diapering solution. Just an FYI: never use the microfiber insert directly against baby's skin. They are very very absorbent and may cause chapping of baby's skin...this is something I didn't know at first! Another component in keeping baby comfortable? The suedecloth does a great job of wicking away moisture...in the morning, my boy's tush is dry!
While I find the velcro tabs convenient for putting the diaper on, I find it inconvenient to have to fasten the laundry tabs. I know that is silly, because it only takes a second, but I have to say, I've been spoiled by my Smartipants. I love not having to worry about unstuffing or fooling with laundry tabs! Even still, this is a minor issue. I still reach for this diaper first come bedtime.
Pros:
One size diaper, so it will last from tiny tot to tall tot.
Hook and loop closure make it easy to use, like a disposable.
Lots of pretty colors! I'm a big fan of the new colors. =)
Inserts are high quality and absorb a ton of liquid.
Cons:
Hook and loop wears over time, and may have to be replaced.
Laundry tabs add an extra (small) step to your laundry routine.
Not as easy to unstuff as other diapers, but again, it's not too terribly bad.
So! Here are the scores from me to you (now more in depth...my first review was lacking).
Overall: 8...they are good, but this is definitely not my favorite "all the time" diaper.
Ease of use: 7. Stuffing the inserts isn't terribly hard, but it does take longer because of the texture of the inside of the diaper. It is the hardest to stuff diaper that I own, but I only have a few kinds. The PUL makes the stuffing slower going than say, the Smartipants diaper, but still, fairly easy. Also, the laundry tabs, though a small extra step, is still an extra step. Un-stuffing is a little slower, too, because of the extra fabric at the back. This is the only pocket diaper I own that I have to really touch the insert to get it out. Not my favorite thing.
Washing: 7. Like I said, you have to fasten the laundry tabs...which will eventually wear out. Yes, there are repair kits, but let's face it...with snaps, you would avoid this issue altogether. I haven't found this diaper terribly difficult to un-stuff, though it does take longer and my FuzziBunz and Happy Heiny's are definitely easier. And the Smartipants eliminate the need for un-stuffing!
Longevity: 9. These diapers are very well made, despite the fact that you may have to replace the velcro. I have some older 2.0's that were heavily used for over a year by their previous owner, and they are still in great shape (well, after she replaced the elastic and I replaced the velcro). The inserts, however, are not. =P At any rate, because of the One Size feature on this diaper, they will have a long shelf life in your cloth diapering journey. That's a big plus in my book.
Daddy and sitter friendly: 10 if pre-stuffed, maybe a 9 if not. I always pre-stuff my diapers after laundering them, but I could see how someone who's never done it might be like, "Wha...?" Still, these diapers are just like disposables (you know, except they are totally cheaper and better for the environment and way more comfortable, I'd imagine, on your baby), and that takes the intimidation factor out of the equation. I can see why this diaper has such a cult following, because it is a great diaper; I thought this would be my favorite diaper! But alas, it is not. It is in the top three, though! Don't get me wrong, I like this diaper...I just like my Smartipants way more. This is my husband's second favorite diaper, though, right after the Smartipants.
Just a heads up, I purchased my bumGenius diapers from the manufacturer, Cotton Babies. I DO NOT recommend doing this! I (and a friend of mine) have gotten horrible customer service from Cotton Babies. I have never had a problem with customer service from Kelly's Closet or Cute Caboose. They are both very friendly website...every time I have contacted them, I have gotten a quick response. Cotton Babies just ignored my emails and phone calls...minus the automated emails they sent. Not cool, Cotton Babies. You fail. *Actually, after I originally wrote this, Cotton Babies sent me a $5 gift credit (and will refund my account as soon as I call them with my card number...this is after many weeks of doing nothing). I have to say, it's too little too late. I still won't be shopping with them again.*
Anyway, there that is. Happy diapering!




3 comments:
Thanks Girl, for your awesome comments on my blog! It's readers like you that keep me blogging! I started reading that book way back when I first got married and never finished it. So far, it's really really got me praying again about my relationship with my hubby!
Ok, so my baby carrier is a MeeUp carrier. (http://www.meeupcarriers.blogspot.com) Shelly was awesome to work with. super fast! and it looks like the one that I bought is $10 cheaper now!! you could also try a ring sling, which is adjustable so no matter how big he is, it will work (check out dirty diaper laundry's video on the ring sling.)
does that help? the MeeUp isn't adjustable or anything, but Noah still fits in it really well. you can poke around on my blog and see him in it when he was around 5 months old.
thanks for visiting!! :) love your cute little blog!
I love my BG diapers!! They are some of my favorites. I am currently having some issues (that I will not post about until it plays itself out) with their service people. I am kind of frustrated with the way they are treating me. And I am very disappointed to hear that it is not just me. I completely agree with Kelly's Closet - I love that shop!!
And thanks for stopping by me today! :)
Thanks for your super helpful diaper reviews. I'm researching what might be good for my twins (coming 2010!) and I had never heard of the smartipants until now. They, and the bumGenius sound like a wonderful options. Thanks very much! ~Cathy
Post a Comment