Thursday, March 25, 2010

Please Wear Your Baby Safely!

Levi told me about this post today on CNN.  I sort of wish he hadn't mentioned it to me, but the more I think about it, the more upset it makes me.

In case you  didn't read the article, a woman took her week old baby out to Costco in an Infantino Sling Rider, and by the time she had finished her shopping and her hot dog and got back to the car, she noticed that her baby was "not the right color".  By the time she got to the hospital, it was too late, and her son didn't make it.

My heart goes out to this mother.  My heart goes out to any mother who has lost a child.  I remember five years ago when Levi's 19 year old cousin died, I couldn't even fathom losing a child; now that I'm a mother, it's even more unfathomable.

She's suing the company that made the sling.  This part, I disagree with.  I know that she is heartbroken, but I don't think that the sling is the direct cause of her child's death.  There are many sites that explain how you ought to wear your baby if you choose to wear them so young (I'm not sure that I would, but that's just me), and they ALL specifically say that positioning is key when they are 0-4 months.  You HAVE to make sure that baby is positioned just so in order to keep their airway unblocked (which is exactly why I wouldn't wear my baby so young).  Other mothers have used the same product properly without consequence, and now the company is spending all of this money to recall a product that isn't broken, AND possibly have to pay out millions for pain and suffering to moms who have lost their children.

Not amount of money will ever ease the guilt that mom will feel for losing her son.  And I'm sorry, but in my opinion, it isn't the company's fault that her child died.  As a parent, you (and your spouse) are responsible for your child's well being, and that includes making sure that, should you choose to carry your newborn in a sling, you do it safely and properly.  Personal responsibility seems to be a thing of the past in this country, and I'm over it.

Not trying to start a huge debate, but I do welcome your comments, as long as they aren't mean spirited!

1 comment:

mrsstrickland said...

Im not going to read the artice, because I know it will piss me off! Parents (well, everyone) thinks that they are not the ones to blambe. I dont have that carrier, but I am sure it says in the directions how to wear the baby properly. If it does not, THEN the company is to blambe. I have 2 ring slings, which if worn incorrectly can be dangerous too! The best for smaller babies are wraps that keep them chest to chest with you and keep them upright!

Its just like carseats, if you read the instructions and use them PROPERLY, they are great things. But one thing done wrong spells distaster.