Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!

Today, as I sat at Starbucks sipping my Iced Skinny Vanilla Latte reading The End of Reason: A Response to the New Atheists by Ravi Zacharias, I had an overwhelming sense of what today was all about.  Maybe it was the thought of these "new atheists" like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins disbelief in God when I have personally experienced time and again the power of God (and the transformation and renewing touch of His hand), but on the drive home I decided to text some of my loved ones and celebrate our risen Savior!  It is so moving to think that today celebrates His victory over death itself...all to give us life again.  What an awesome thought!

After the past few weeks and all of the things I've been going through, I realized that most of the things I was worried about were completely unfounded.  Of course I can't think about what it would be like to have another child right now...it's not time for me to have another child!  When the time is right (and God will make that clear, just as He did the first time), it'll be just like Lisa said in her comment...the second child will just "fit".  I am particularly bad about adding tomorrow's (or three years from now!) problems to today.  But it's like it says in Matthew:

Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

As for all of the Mommy stuff, it seems silly to compare myself to these seasoned "supermoms".  Of course I am going to stumble...this is my first rodeo!  Some of these women are raising three or four children at a time..they have been around the block a time or two when it comes to temper tantrums and whining children.  I, however, am experiencing all of this for the first time!  I was being ridiculously hard on myself.

There were some things that I do need to honestly confront, like why I slid back into some destructive behaviors.  Those are things that I'll be working on in my daily quiet/devotional times, and I'd appreciate your prayers to keep me encouraged and lifted up.  Also, pray for my faithfulness in these quiet times...without them, life turns to crud pretty quickly!  Pray that I'll take the time not only to meditate on the Word and for prayer, but also to listen...truly listen...to what God has to say.

As we sat on the front porch together after putting our little punkin boy down for the night, I told Levi how I felt that today was so awesome because it's like we get to join Christ in resurrecting and getting to start fresh...something I felt I needed after the mess of the bad choices of the past month or so!  Levi said, "That's what tomorrows are for."  And he's right...no matter what happens today, or another day, there is a tomorrow just waiting to happen (you know, until there isn't, lol).  Anytime I find myself being disappointed in the day I'm having, I can just remember that tomorrow is another opportunity to get it right.  Am I going to get it right all the time?  Of course not.  And I need to start taking the time to savor my tiny victories!!

Today, I tried hard to love well.  I also managed to deep clean the master bathroom, do three loads of laundry, cook dinner, and spend quality time with my husband and son, AND visit with my mom, dad, sister, brother-in-law, niece, and nephew.  Those victories more than make up for yesterday's (or the day before, or the day before that...) failures!  I hope I can remember that next time I start beating myself up.  =)

Happy Easter!  May God richly bless you and your family today and every day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very encouraging post! Thank you for the great reminders! Moms go through so much, it is hard to stay on track with God under all the stresses we go through. I need reminders from other God-loving moms about how to stay connected with our Savior!

TeamOSM said...

Thank you Little Miss Emmy Lou! It has been a struggle adjusting to my new life as a Mommy (actually, I really thought it wasn't, but then I had like, four? Mommy breakdowns in like a month. Ha!

But you're right, it is sometimes hard to stay on track when dealing with the stresses of having the best job in the world! I hope that we can continue to remind each other to stay connected...with both God, and each other!

I back read your blog, and am praying that things level off soon with baby #2. God is with you!!

Nephy said...

Thanks for the links to the blogs. I only skimmed a few things, but they look pretty awesome.